Sunday, November 11, 2012

Possibilities and Crazy Things

Well, I just passed the 80,000 word mark in Thorn and Shadow. We are at the climactic chapter, with all sorts of crazy things happening. I'm talking blood, critters falling down dead, ribbons of light, people being impaled, rampaging animals, dreadful voices. So far, this has been one of the funner writing experiences I've had. There really hasn't been any part of this novel that was difficult to write. It has a nice, steady pace that just ramps up into fun and crazy things. I enjoy it. Will other people enjoy it? That remains to be seen.

At this pace, I will be done with the novel in another week or so, which will mean I have nothing left to do with the rest of NaNoWriMo. For my next project, I think I will go back and finish working on the second sequel to Mary of the Aether. It's called Mary of Starlight, and it will also ramp up into crazy things. In fact, it will get so epic near the end that I find the prospect of writing it daunting.

On the other hand, I might not finish Mary of Starlight next. I have an idea for another fantasy novel that I want to write. When I was in high school, I attempted a novel called The Fifth Crystal. It was more than I could manage at the time, so I got about fifty pages in and gave up. Nevertheless, it is an idea that I want to revisit, and I know how to make it work now. I actually wrote a short story called Oumings in the Dark that appeared in the fourth issue of a magazine called Encounters that is very loosely based on the same idea. The link is here. Anywho, I might write that next instead of the next Mary novel. We shall see.



No comments:

Post a Comment