Saturday, June 29, 2013

Mary of Cosmos

Well, I've finished all the revisions of Children of the Mechanism, and I've sent the manuscript off to publishers. I've decided to attempt a traditional publisher this time rather than self-publishing. We'll see what sort of response I get. It is a rather strange book, but I like how it turned out.

In the meantime, I've gone back to work on the final volume of the Mary Lanham saga. Mary of Cosmos will wrap up the whole story in epic, world-shattering fashion. And, oh, people, the first chapter is a doozy. Of course, I daren't say anything about it at this point, but just you wait and see. It's a chapter that was a lot of fun to write. I'll leave it at that.

The story is already worked out in my head, so the book shouldn't take too long to write. The sooner I get it to the publisher, the sooner it comes out. Typically, it is exactly one year from the contract date to the publication date. So what we're looking at now is Mary of Shadows in August of this year, Mary of Starlight in April of 2014 and the concluding volume, Mary of Cosmos, sometime probably in the early Fall of 2014. Then Mary's story will be fully told.

In other news, Mary of the Aether has been included on the booklist for a regional workshop called "So Many Books, So Little Time." You can see the full list here. Basically, these are books that are being recommended to thousands of teachers this summer, so Mary of the Aether should be getting a good amount of publicity in time for the sequel. We'll see how it goes.

As a final bit of news, I have an idea for another YA urban fantasy series I want to write next. It will be set in a trailer park in Bartlesville, Oklahoma. Now, what could be more compelling than that? Anywho, sarcasm aside, it will be based on characters and ideas that I invented when I was a wee lad. Much like Cakey, these are characters who have lived in my brain a long time. It will be nice to get them down on paper and let other people get to know them. The first volume, The Figment Tree, will be the next thing I write.




No comments:

Post a Comment