Sunday, September 16, 2012

New Novel

I couldn't do it. I just couldn't do it! I had an idea for a new short story, and I worked on it a little bit on the laptop during a plane flight to Florida. But the constraints of the short story format were too much, and the idea was too rich and interesting to me. I have to explore it more fully.

What I'm trying to say is that I have started work on a new novel. The working title is Thorn and Shadow. I'll get back to Mary Lanham and her adventures afterward, but for now it's time for Haven Ridge and the Garden of the Old Planter. I've managed to write 3,400 words in the last couple of days.

Now, here's the thing. Up until now, my daily writing goal has been 1,000 words, but the other day I read that Michael Moorcock often wrote 15,000 words a day. I feel challenged by that. I doubt I can manage 15,000 words, what with another career and all, but I'm sure I can aim much higher. What about 5,000 words a day? Can I ramp up to that? We shall see.

1 comment:

  1. I love the way you motivate yourself. I've always wanted to write a novel but, unlike you, have never had the motivation.
    I am hosting a blog hop today over at my blog :-)
    http://myfroley.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete