Monday, January 28, 2013

Best Time of the Day to Write

So what time of the day do you do most of your writing? What time of the day do you do your best writing? As for me, having another job which occupies most of my time, I am limited in terms of when I can write. However, consistently over the years, I have found that I write best late at night. I'm not sure why. Maybe it's because my body is shutting down from lack of sleep, leaving my mind, and particularly my subconscious, freer to assert itself. Daylight, daytime activities and commotion around the house tend to distract me. When all is dark and quiet, and that late night stillness blankets the neighborhood, then I find myself more focused on creating other worlds, other places, other people, of delving into that strange head space where stories are born.

Of course, I have the constant distraction of the internet right in front of me, day or night, so that is a constant battle. It is so easy, such a little thing, to window out of Word and go browse Reddit or some other random site and read about useless trivia for a while. Wanting to write helps overcome that distraction. I mean, really, if you want to write, if you need to write, if the ideas in your brain are always threatening to spill out onto the floor unless you write them down, then you will find a way to overcome the distractions.

And you must, fellow writer. You must!

No comments:

Post a Comment