Thursday, October 18, 2012

What's Next for Promo?

What's next in the world of author promo for my first novel, Mary of the Aether? Things have been quiet for a while, no book signings or anything, but the next big event is coming up. A friend of mine works for a local school system, and I will be doing a literacy event at the junior high in a couple of weeks. The plan is to give a thirty-minute interactive presentation on how to write a novel. We'll talk about the story-germ, character development, common grammar mistakes, plot and the climax and resolution, all of that fun stuff, and then the kids get to do a little writing of their own. It's the sort of thing I would have loved at that age, but we'll see how it goes.

The library at the school has agreed to buy a few copies, and about a week after the first event, I will return to do an evening presentation for parents on getting published. We'll talk about querying, synopsis writing, self-publishing and indie publishers and all sorts of good stuff, and hopefully a few latent writers will get motivated. Afterward, I will set up a book table to maybe sell some books.

So there you go. That's the next big event. Anxiety? Of course, but what can you do? You just have to push through the anxiety.

In other news, I am at the halfway point in Thorn and Shadow. 50,000 words is upon me! I am enjoying writing it, and the story is just flowing nicely, all the pieces coming together and crazy things happening. There is blood, dust, rampaging bison, out-of-control tree roots. What more could you want?

No comments:

Post a Comment