Thursday, January 19, 2017

The Latest Happenings and Figments and Such

Just a quick update about things that are happening. To be honest, there's not much to report these days. In September, I took a job as a social media editor, and it keeps me pretty busy, on top of everything else. I am still waiting to hear back from a publisher about my last novel, Teth of the City. If it gets turned down, I'll just self-publish the darn thing. In fact, I've already designed a cover, which I can use if it comes down to that:


Click on the cover to learn a bit more about it.

Despite my busy work schedule, I do find time to work on my own stuff. Currently, I am writing a YA novel called The Figment Tree. I started this one way back in 2013, but I didn't get far. In fact, the idea was perhaps too bizarre for me then, and I didn't quite know what to do with it. A few months ago, the solution came to me, and I have returned to that story.

For the record, it is set in a trailer park in Bartlesville, Oklahoma in 1991. It's either a science fiction novel or urban fantasy, depending on how you look at it. I think it's turning out pretty good. Parts of it are incredibly sad, but the characters are interesting, the idea is odd, and hopefully the time period is evocative. We shall see! Anyway, it's nice returning to the Young Adult genre. It constrains some of my worst tendencies, which is good.

Also, the title is almost certainly going to change at some point. The Figment Tree title is based on early concepts of the story. It doesn't fit anymore. I'm thinking about The Ribbon Tree or something along those lines. When you read it, you'll understand why that is an ominous title.


No comments:

Post a Comment